Planning & Zoning
For the purpose of promoting health, safety, morals, public convenience, general prosperity and public welfare, to conserve and protect property and property values; to secure the most appropriate use of land; and to facilitate adequate but economical provision of public improvements, all in accordance with a comprehensive plan, the Board of Commissioners of Billings County finds it necessary and advisable to regulate the location, height, bulk, number of stories and size of buildings and other structures.
New Construction or Change of Use
Building & Zoning Certificates are required, reviewed, and approved by the Planning & Zoning Department, Zoning Board, and the Board of County Commissioners before:
- beginning any new construction,
- moving a building or structure,
- whenever the outside dimensions of an existing building are altered
- changing the use of the property, or
- subdividing land.
Please be advised that if you are to build or bring in any new structures to your property, you are required to contact our office for a Zoning Application before you do any building.
|Month||Deadline for Applications||Published in the Pioneer||Zoning Board Meeting Date at 1:00 PM||Final Review by County Commissioners|
|September||August 29||Sept. 5 & 12||Thursday, September 19||Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019|
|October||Sept. 26||Oct. 3 & 10||Thursday, October 17||Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019|
|November||October 31||Nov. 7 & 14||Thursday, Nov. 21||Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019|
|December||Nov. 25*||Dec. 5 & 12||Thursday, Dec. 19||Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2020|
*Indicates deadline changed due to Thanksgiving holiday
Applications must be received by 4:00 PM on the noted date. Dates and times are subject to change.
- Comprehensive Plan (PDF)
- Land Use Plan (PDF)
- Zoning Ordinance (PDF)
- Amendment 7.10 Procedures for Hearing Notices, adopted October 18, 2015 (PDF)
- Amendment 6.16 Medical Marijuana - Compassion Centers, adopted June 5, 2018 (PDF)
- Subdivision Ordinance (PDF)
- Planning and Zoning Fees (PDF)
- Planning & Zoning Department Brochure (PDF)