ALL IN PERSON APPLICATIONS AND PHOTOS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY -
PLEASE CALL 701-623-4491 TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT.
Requirements to Apply in Person: If you respond "Yes" to at least one of the following statements:
- I am applying for my first U.S. passport.
- I am applying with my child who is under age 16.
- My previous U.S. passport was issued when I was under age 16.
- My previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged.
- My previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
If you meet the requirements to Apply in Person, please review the following information needed to apply:
- 1 passport photo is required (photos may be obtained at Recorder's Office)
- Provide evidence of U.S. Citizenship: Certified copy of Birth Certificate (Must be State Issued) Request for Certified Copy of a Birth Record Form (PDF)
- Present ID (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html for acceptable forms of identification documents
If under 16 both parents or legal guardians must accompany the child when applying. Both parents or legal guardians must sign the application for the child. If this is not possible, the single applying parent or legal guardian must show proof of sole custody or the consent of the second parent.
If NONE of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to RENEW BY MAIL.
Renew by Mail: If you respond "Yes" to all of the statements below about your most recent passport:
- I can submit it with my application.
- It is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear).
- I have never reported it lost or stolen.
- It was issued within the last 15 years.
- It was issued when I was age 16 or older.
- It was issued in my current name, or I can provide another document such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree that is evidence of my name change.
- It was not limited to less than the normal 10 year period of validity for an adult passport due to multiple passport thefts or losses, or due to issues with passport damage or mutilation.
If you are eligible to renew by mail, The Billings County Recorder's Office CAN NOT process your application. You must mail in your renewal application yourself.
Please see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html for further instructions on renewals by mail.
Any other sites that charge or have you fill in your information are not reputable. The service is free and secure at the State Department website. We don’t want any of our customers taken advantage of or have their personal information compromised.
Please call 701-623-4491 if you have questions.
As of March 24, 2023 the processing time is as follows:
- Routine Service: 10-13 weeks
- Expedited Service: 7-9 weeks (Expedited service fees are an additional $60.00).
- Please note processing times now begin the day the application is received at a passport agency or center, not the day the customer applied for a passport at an acceptance facility.
- Adult Passport Book (16 and over) $130
- Adult Passport Card (16 and over) $30
- Minor Passport Book (Under 16) $100
- Minor Passport Card (Under 16) $15
- Processing Fees are an additional $35.00
- Passport Photos are $17.20